Sunday 20 August 2017

Dirty old git.

This is one I wrote after having a run in with a girl on the train from Kings Cross to Edinburgh during the Fringe Festival. She had a nice little Jeremy Corbyn T-shirt on, badges, all the right stuff, but she also had the window seat and wouldn't let me use the plug. I leaned in and said "Does Jeremy know you're for a monopoly position on the distribution of electricity to the poor and needy?"
She sighed and carried on reading Karl Marxs' 'on the distribution of wealth' although it might have been Engels, great double act those two but I mix them up.

I've altered the setting and context (for poetic justice), but it's about being judgmental and also solidarity.


Hello ‘anon’ girl, do you remember me? 
Probably not, but I just want to say,
you were stood in the street with your leaflets
we shared a glance the other day.


Remember? I just walked by you and winked
when I passed I heard you say
“don’t wink at me you dirty old bastard,
It’s your type that votes Theresa May”.


Now that hurt ‘cos you don’t know me
That wink was a rebel salute,
‘cos what you think and say on your leaflet
Believe me, to that I’m really not mute.


I know I didn’t take your leaflet
‘cos I know what they cost 
that’s one of my rules of living 
My gain should never be your loss.


I was looking at you with pride that day
I winked, to encourage and say
This old warhorse he has your back 
Together we’ll defeat bloody May


‘Cos I’ve been there as well 
For the miners ,for peace and for gays
This struggle has been there for ever
It gets no easier in these mad days.

Now we both made mistakes that day
I walked by, your shouts weren’t a chat
We could have stood a while together
and ended this generation gap.



‘Cos we need to stand side by side
or these problems will get out of hand
If we don’t beat ‘em all together girl

We’ll lose again, face down in the sand.



No comments:

Post a Comment